English Conversation Club – Observation Reflection #2

Photo by Jessica Da Rosa on Unsplash

Sept 22/20

Today I observed the English Conversation Club at TRU’s Language Learning Centre.  Unfortunately, there were no international students in attendance.  There were several English-speaking students who attended however, so we followed through the lesson plan and had a conversation about music.

The plan for this conversation included a fill in the blanks on music lyrics, questions about favorite music, music that had an impact on individuals, identifying the meaning of songs and applying it to your own life, and a game of music Jeopardy.  I enjoyed the process, and the instructor was well prepared to keep the conversation going with ongoing questions and activities.

Some of the questions/topics needed you to be willing to have higher level of vulnerability to give an honest answer, which I was comfortable doing because I knew some of the others and the instructor from previous classes, but I’m not sure I would have been willing to share had it been a group of complete strangers.  This particular music lesson might get better responses later in the semester when students have a chance to build rapport as members of the club.